Friday, January 15, 2010

Coming of Age Day


January 15 used to be Seijin no Hi, Coming of Age Day, in Japan. It is a Japanese Holiday now held annually on the second Monday of January to congratulate and encourage all those who have reached the age of majority (20 years old) over the past year. Yes, it is a huge event there and you get to see your old friends from elementary, intermediate, and high schools. People dress up especially girls in a kimono, it is amazing!
I always wanted to wear this special kimono, furisode, for this event. Of course I was in the US back then and did not go back there for this event. Well, I thought I was becoming a majority at the age of 21 since I lived here. Yes, I completely forgot about this event until it was over then...
When my family went back there on vacation one time, my aunt put me in her daughter's frisode. I felt happy and awkward at the same time. It was not Seijin no Hi, I was older, and nobody in my family could tie the obi, belt, for this kimono right... I had to walk very slowly so that the obi dose not fall. We took some photos outside of the house and went back inside the house.
I am going to take some photos in the kimono when I go there next time, maybe in Kyoto!

No comments:

Post a Comment