Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Sakura


It is the best season now for viewing sakura or cherry blossoms in Japan.
Exactly 2 years ago my family and I went back to Japan to take a trip with my grandmother.
We visited this city in south where she first met my grandfather before they got married.
I clearly remember how beautiful cherry blossoms were blooming everywhere in Japan two years ago.
Last Saturday in Japan time, my grandmother passed away.
It just happened all of sudden.
Nobody expected this would happen this early.
I am shocked and still struggling to comprehend that she is gone.
At the same time, I strongly feel that she is in a better place.
Her funeral is surrounded by full of sakura blossoms.
Here is my favorite poetry from Hojoki which is written in Kamakura Period (1185 - 1333) that I want to share.

Though the river's current never fails, the water passing, moment by moment, is never the same. Where the current pools, bubbles form on the surface, bursting and disappearing as others rise to replace them, none lasting long. In this world, people and their dwelling places are like that, always changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment